|Name||Shrimati Sunita Verma|
|Position||Mayor of Meerut|
|Resi. Address||Pallavpuram Phase-I, Meerut|
|Date of Birth||N/A|
Meerut Mayor Sunita Verma of BSP, who entered politics by becoming a member of Zilla Panchayat a decade ago, came to the city from the countryside and entered politics. Sunita Verma managed to become the first Dalit mayor in the history of Meerut Municipal Corporation and wrested the mayor’s seat from the BJP in power at the center, the state.
For the first time, the seat of the mayor of Meerut was reserved for the SC woman. BJP leaders hoped that they would benefit from being reserved for SC women. Earlier in 2006, the seat of Mayor of Meerut was reserved for OBC women. Then Madhu Gurjar, wife of the then Executive Mayor Sushil Gurjar, was nominated by the BJP. Madhu Gurjar became the first elected female mayor of BJP with more than two lakh 58 thousand votes.
This time it was the case of the Dalit Mayor. The BJP fielded the party’s state vice-president Kanta Kardam. Sunita Verma, the wife of former BSP MLA Yogesh Verma, was declared a candidate by Mayawati. The election was between the BJP and the BSP from the beginning. When the result came, Sunita Verma became the first Dalit Mayor of Meerut.
Who is the mayor?
A person who is elected to be the leader of the group of people (a council) who manage the affairs of a town or city.
The role of the mayor:
1. The mayor is elected by the people and recognised as the civic leader of the community.
2. As part of the leadership role the mayor is involved in advancing community cohesion and promoting civic awareness and is the principal member and spokesperson for Council, including representing the views of the council as to its local priorities. Promoting part The mayor is chosen by individuals and perceived as the municipal head of the local area.
3. As a piece of the strategic place of power the mayor is locked in with impelling neighborhood and propelling local area care and is the fundamental part and delegate for Council, including tending to the points of view on the chamber concerning its close by needs. Propelling associations with various accomplices is another huge occupation of the city mayornerships with different partners is one more significant job of the mayor.
4. The mayor directs the board gatherings and deals with the lead of members at chamber gatherings.
5. At Redland City, the mayor is likewise the Chair of the Local Disaster Management Group.
6. The mayor directs standard General Council Meetings, where councilors discussion and decision on movements, and deals with the lead of members at these chamber gatherings.
7. At the point when the mayor is inaccessible, a deputy mayor can act as the mayor. The deputy mayor is chosen by a larger part of the councilors.
Duties and Responsibilities of the Mayor:
The Municipal Act, 2001, Section 225, identifies the Mayor’s responsibilities as follows:
• To be head of the municipal council and to act as Chief Executive Officer of the Corporation.
• To preside over council meetings.
• To provide leadership to council.
• To represent the municipality at official functions.
• To carry out the duties of the Head of Council under this or any other Act.
• To perform duties of a member of council as outlined in the Municipal Act, 2001, Section 224.
The Mayor will likewise act as an individual from district board and is expected to go to all normal and unique gatherings of province chamber as well as any standing panels to which he/she might be selected.
Meerut Mayor address:
Pallavpuram Phase-I, Meerut
Meerut Mayor contact number: